Monday, October 14, 2013

After the Premiere

In the calm after the premiere of Consider the Lilies I have had some time to cool down, and even upload the project to my Youtube channel (the link will be available soon). In this period between the completion of the film, festival submissions, and the conclusion of my thesis paper regarding Kubrick, I have had some time to watch some films at my leisure. In this post I hope to share some independent projects I have had the luck to discover - and will remember when approaching my next project. 
The first is a music video that was released last week by one of my favorite musical artists. I was struck by the accompanying video in a way I had not been for some time. Music videos with this level of simplicity but stunning originality are not common. This video (Sex, Death, & Landscapes - Tom Rosenthal) can be found here
As someone who hopes to work on the creation of music videos in the future I plan to keep this one central as a reminder of how effective a simple piece can be.
The second project I discovered was an animated short called "The Man With the Beautiful Eyes", based off of the spoken narration of Charles Bukowski, a poet. While the words of the story hold the majority of what makes this piece powerful - I was deeply moved by the way such profound words were coupled with dynamic and intense imagery. While I am no animator, I recognize the importance of such a piece for all filmmakers to see. I believe it is truly a hidden gem. The five minute video can be seen here.

1 comment:

  1. I love Tom Rosenthal! He's got some peculiar music videos, but they're certainly visually interesting. I love how simple the video for Sex, Death & Landscapes is--the simplicity compliments his mellow vocals and the background whistling really nicely. Plus, the line "I fell for you in the summer, and that was a bummer because you left in the spring" gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete