Monday, October 28, 2013

Moving Forward

Now that Consider the Lilies has been presented and posted online, I have had some time to focus on smaller projects for college submission, and my thesis regarding Kubrick. Most recently, I completed a short, unofficial music video for Timber Timbre's song "Obelisk." I planned the video based heavily upon the sound - the disturbing highs and lows of violins and the steady beat that drives the short song home. In many horror trailers, movies, and shorts, the quick-cut is utilized as a tool to manipulate the viewer's instincts. Some of the most frightening material is created when one is not entirely sure what they have just seen. This instinctual fear of sinister ambiguity is what inspired most of the video's creation. I myself am not entirely sure what the story may be, but I did have a word in mind as I shot and edited it: witchcraft. The entire thing was conceptualized, shot, and edited (this video would have been a failure without heavy editing) within 24 hours. Should you watch it, please do so in HD. It is available for streaming here.
I have been slowly but surely working on my Kubrick thesis - I am just beginning my analysis of "A Clockwork Orange" a controversial, but notoriously groundbreaking movie. While I do not really address my personal opinion on this controversy within the thesis, I will say that I believe many critical or angered viewers simply did not register the movie as a whole. The ultra-violence at the beginning is hard to watch - sure - but what really matters is what comes next. When I think of this movie my mind does not jump to these first minutes that have caused so much anger, but instead the methods of the governmental facility, the cold world that Alex returns to. I believe these moments are what the film is truly about.

1 comment:

  1. You have created an interesting mixture of beautiful shots and disturbing imagery, with the edits being a principal factor in how successfully you get your ideas about the music across. The theme of witchcraft helps you focus on each choice you make as you plan and execute your shots and your cuts. Just as the music is suggestive and elicits an uneasiness in the listener, your interpretation is fitting and compliments the score with combinations of images that build to the creepy climax. I enjoyed the unexpected choice to leave the ending, the disjointed final notes, completely black. That was a bold and smart move, leaving this viewer surprised and on edge.

    ReplyDelete